Interesting Bikes for Sale From Thai Websites.

Well spotted Max, I hadn't had time to look at it.

MastaMax said:
KTMphil said:
Brand spanking new Yamaha WR 250 F just imported to Thailand -- looks like call for price

http://www.mocyc.com/store/view.php?idclassified=574344

Phil, that's a crap dual sport WR250r... not a F. And it's not the latest model, this is the latest model:
is_this_the_2012_yamaha_wr250f_enduro_-_future_bikes_spy_shots_image_575_346.jpg

LivinLOS said:
Not being as aggressive, does it have different service needs ??

I would live with a dual sport if it meant 1k oil changes and >5k minimum between major servicing.

well then get a KLX250 it will be muuuuch cheaper and with plate (saw a dual sport yamaha wr250r for 240k baht! without plate). KLX250 and WR250R are in the same category. Here is a very good comparison (carb version though):
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/11/77.../2010-250-Dual-Sport-Motorcycle-Shootout.aspx

MastaMax said:
LivinLOS said:
Not being as aggressive, does it have different service needs ??

I would live with a dual sport if it meant 1k oil changes and >5k minimum between major servicing.

well then get a KLX250 it will be muuuuch cheaper and with plate (saw a dual sport yamaha wr250r for 240k baht! without plate). KLX250 and WR250R are in the same category. Here is a very good comparison (carb version though):
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/11/77.../2010-250-Dual-Sport-Motorcycle-Shootout.aspx

Yeah the WR250R is maybe marginally more bike than a KLX250 but if you want a 250 dualsport (ie not a 100% dirtbike) with a plate the answer is a KLX250 sold here.

WOW it will be as low power as the Thai restricted EFI type then.. As you say.. pass..

Fantastic Mr. H -- I know you can sniff a bargain out better than most ...immensely useful, i'm not kidding, great for relative value.

I am so tempted by the CRM price/ power/ weight equation, may have to shoot my load on one.

LivinLOS said:
http://www.mocyc.com/store/view.php?idclassified=578645

1315561929.jpg

CRM250 AR.. low maintenance smoker.. Close to 40hp stock too..

Still reckon its ambitious pricing at 79k without a book.. Cant blame him for trying tho.

I missed one (CRM250AR) just before I picked up my WR200.. Did some reading and they are well liked as are useable as day to day rides (elecy start, autolube, service requirements etc) but still put out 'decent' enough power.. Last of the enduro 2 strokes sort of thing.

Very rarely see a booked one.. But I would take one of those as a woodsin / trailie bike over a KLX..

Thats cheap for a YZ 250F like that?

the XR650 would be a lots of fun in dry season on the wide unmade roads

hondaxr650r.jpg

Nice finds Mr. H -- I love looking at this stuff

600's air cooled the 650s water I think..

Thats a stock pic (I have to assume) and is the ali framed XR650R.. A bit of a beast.. AKA the 'king of Baja' a proper 100mph 4 stroke dirtbike. The XR650L was a steel framed road registerable machine with far less off road chops..

So important to know which the bike really is.. As thats just a stock pic, he might have just heard the 650 and grabbed a shot online to sell it.

Before buying my Harley Sportster I had a XR650R for a couple of years, I bought it new from a dealer near Liverpool as he was the only one who would sell it with a plate as a legal bike.
For £500 extra he fitted the full FMF pipe plus a racing piston, that fucker flew and the acceleration was just awesome

KTMphil said:
I am so tempted by the CRM price/ power/ weight equation, may have to shoot my load on one.

These are very cool bikes, Phil. Do it.

The suspension is better than an XR but they are a bit heavy for a 2-stroke. A little more street-oriented than an XR250R but still very cool. I think for off-road, most of us would be faster on an XRR than a CRM but nonetheless something about them is just cool. They have an oil injector so no worries about mixing.

The prices are definitely right too. I think you can get one for about 50,000. A really good deal, IMO.

A couple of guys running offroad tours in Cambodia swear by the CRM's.
However, the bikes are so old and thrashed, they always seem to be fixing them.

Whats the fuel consumption, 15km/liter ?

Looking for a wr250f in very good condition if anyone sees one :) year 2009+
I'm a bit reluctant to buy an older one as they are race bikes so you can expect them to have taken a lot of beating.

Well I meant in Thailand Phil, we all know how much taxes there are here... 6800usd would be barely more than 200k, but I saw 2nd hand ones for 290k so just wondering.

I'm still in touch with the one in Phitsanaluk, don't know much about it's condition so far, so still looking around.

I think Nae from Chiang Mai Motorcross shop told me around 320,000 bht new

MastaMax said:
Well I meant in Thailand Phil, we all know how much taxes there are here... 6800usd would be barely more than 200k, but I saw 2nd hand ones for 290k so just wondering.

I'm still in touch with the one in Phitsanaluk, don't know much about it's condition so far, so still looking around.

Is that the coolant overflow all the way back there ?? Seems quite a long way rear..

Nice looking machine, tho I would say its a touch ambitious on pricing. Then again, I am a cheap cunt.

Jesus is the fuel consumption really that bad?

bill said:
A couple of guys running offroad tours in Cambodia swear by the CRM's.
However, the bikes are so old and thrashed, they always seem to be fixing them.

Whats the fuel consumption, 15km/liter ?

Interesting piece about choosing a motorcross bike

http://www.surreytrf.org.uk/choosing_a_bike.shtml

4 stroke: Suzuki DRZ400/DR350, KTM250EXC, Honda XR250, Yamaha TTR250, WR250F, XT 225 Serow(ideal for the shorter person). Where possible we recommend an electric start bike.

2 stroke: Honda CRM 250, Yamaha DT125*, Kawasaki KDX200/220
* a little under-powered

We do not recommend converted motocross bikes as they are too powerful and unsuitable for trailriding, nor Big Trail Bikes as they are too powerful and heavy. .

Favourite bikes for newcomers: TTR250, WR250F, CRM250, DR350/400, XR250

Trail Bikes We Know and Love: club members give their opinion on the pros and cons of various bikes they have owned or ridden:

Honda XR250R - Ted Lowres

I like this one - it seems to go anywhere
Heres what TBM (Trail Bike Magazine) said about the XR250:
Based on the XL250S and 250R with identical frames but more suspension travel. Early monoshock with twin carbs could be a sod to start when ho,t so go for the later single carb model. The XR250 makes a very good all-rounder - light weight and adequate power (30 Hp claimed) makes it perfect for trail riders and clubman enduro riders alike, and tolerable on the road. All Honda 250's need to be revved hard if you want to get a move on. New ones come with electric start.
Verdict: Popular and versatile trailie

XLR250 BAJA
(prounced Ba-Ha, a/c, 4-str, 4-valve, sohc, single)
This bike is different from the XR250 in many minor ways, and is generally much more difficult to ride.
Avoid it if you can.

Phil,
personally I woud go for a CRM AR. I had one here for a few years and infact it was the same model as the one in the picture. I thought it was a geat bike. The AR system gives it great torque and the ability to pull cleanly and smoothly at low revs. In all the time I had mine and with all the riding off road, including a lot of tight forest stuff and unexplored single track, I only ever stalled it once. The suspension is quite soft and compliant and the bike can be ridden for hours off road. It can also really take off and can lift the wheel under power as well as spin the back up easily. Infact it can really shift off road and would give any one on an XR a bit of a surprise. If you are going to look at one I would suggest you take the little cover off where it says AR on the side of the engine. Start the engine, rev it and look to see if the power valve cables are moving. They have been known to have failures of the ECU where they can still run but the powervalve doesn't operate. Mine was like that when I bought it but I was lucky to source a second hand one from Bangkok for 4K baht and the bike was fantastic after that. I also spoke to a guy who is getting his ECU repaired in Greece so the powervalve will work again. I once spoke to a well known motocross and enduro rider and after he had won the Maxis 4 day enduro here, he then later tried a CRM for a weekend and told me he reckoned he could have finished in the top three in the enduro on a CRM. Of course not too many can ride like him. Hope you do buy one and as they are easy to ride on slippery mud, maybe there will be less pictures of you hauling bikes out of wet ditches.

jon said:
Phil,
personally I woud go for a CRM AR. I had one here for a few years and infact it was the same model as the one in the picture. I thought it was a geat bike. The AR system gives it great torque and the ability to pull cleanly and smoothly at low revs. In all the time I had mine and with all the riding off road, including a lot of tight forest stuff and unexplored single track, I only ever stalled it once. The suspension is quite soft and compliant and the bike can be ridden for hours off road. It can also really take off and can lift the wheel under power as well as spin the back up easily. Infact it can really shift off road and would give any one on an XR a bit of a surprise. If you are going to look at one I would suggest you take the little cover off where it says AR on the side of the engine. Start the engine, rev it and look to see if the power valve cables are moving. They have been known to have failures of the ECU where they can still run but the powervalve doesn't operate. Mine was like that when I bought it but I was lucky to source a second hand one from Bangkok for 4K baht and the bike was fantastic after that. I also spoke to a guy who is getting his ECU repaired in Greece so the powervalve will work again. I once spoke to a well known motocross and enduro rider and after he had won the Maxis 4 day enduro here, he then later tried a CRM for a weekend and told me he reckoned he could have finished in the top three in the enduro on a CRM. Of course not too many can ride like him. Hope you do buy one and as they are easy to ride on slippery mud, maybe there will be less pictures of you hauling bikes out of wet ditches.

Hey Jon - I met you near Huay Thung Thao about a year ago when my little 2-stroke underbone was overheating like crazy. You were riding the CRM but were saying you thought a 4-stroke like an XR would be better even though you liked the CRM suspension (If I'm remembering correctly). You still think an XR250R is the better bike than the CRM250AR for around here? Or do I remember incorrectly?

I love the CRM and would trade over in a minute if I thought I could ride it as fast in the tight/slippery stuff as my XRR.

Jon - Great advice thank you.

What is mechanically different on the AR that makes it so much better?

Phil

jon said:
Phil,

I had a CRM250AR for 6 years and they a pretty good trail bikes.

Power is good, brakes are good.

But they are heavy, I think approx 130kg and the suspension is VERY soft. As I learnt to ride faster the suspension actually scared me it would wallow so much.

IMO an XR250 is a better all-round trail bike for the CM area, particularly in wet season. I've lost count of the number of times I was trying to keep up with the 4T boys riding XR's on my CRM on the slippery clay, it would only ever so sideways. In the dry though they are fast and fun.

ECU's do give cause for concern too, last time I checked they were 20,000+ baht.

The AR is a very complicated machine, it was the last 2T trail bike made by Honda and they went all out.

If you don't believe me take the tank off and check out the array of electrical connectors on the frame rail.

The Black / red CRM in the photos above was owned by Kiyo for 5 years, before he sold it to John and its up for grabs again.

As CRMs go this is a very good one.

Nice to know the one above's history thx LUFC

LUFC said:
I had a CRM250AR for 6 years and they a pretty good trail bikes.

Power is good, brakes are good.

But they are heavy, I think approx 130kg and the suspension is VERY soft. As I learnt to ride faster the suspension actually scared me it would wallow so much.

IMO an XR250 is a better all-round trail bike for the CM area, particularly in wet season. I've lost count of the number of times I was trying to keep up with the 4T boys riding XR's on my CRM on the slippery clay, it would only ever so sideways. In the dry though they are fast and fun.

ECU's do give cause for concern too, last time I checked they were 20,000+ baht.

The AR is a very complicated machine, it was the last 2T trail bike made by Honda and they went all out.

If you don't believe me take the tank off and check out the array of electrical connectors on the frame rail.

The Black / red CRM in the photos above was owned by Kiyo for 5 years, before he sold it to John and its up for grabs again.

As CRMs go this is a very good one.

mobmentality69 said:
Cheers!
Pity my Thai isnt better!

You can click onto english on the mocyc site but phone numbers and prices are a good start though?

No plate or book.Which would probably stop me from ever owning one :|

Back
Top Bottom