truck wanted

bigntall

Looking for a decent, older truck to haul my bikes around. If anyone has one, knows of one, or seen a decent one please feel free to touch base with me. Ford Ranger, Toyota Hilux, Isuzu Spacecab etc.

Ideally looking for a turbo diesel with a space behind the seat to stow some gear. However anything decent I'll consider. Manufacturer not as important as being maintained and in good running condition. Knocks and bruises to be expected but not interested in "pretty to look at from 3 meters away but barely running" as I so often see in the used car lots.

Feel free to contact me at:
Phone or SMS : 0879727673
Email: withgusto AT Yahoo DOT com

The spacecab (small bench seat behind the driver and passenger) with bigger tray than the 4 door and light truck tyres (much lower/easier to load and unload bikes) is the way to go.

I`ve had both 3L and 2.5L pickups and find that the 2.5L goes better and sucks much less fuel.Plenty of Thai preowned units around the place and like the little scooters nearly impossible to kill.

Good luck.

Loop - Yes plenty around but so far every one I've looked at has been a POS. One didn't even have any oil register on the dip stick.

What about trying one of the Toyota Sure places? I think there is one opposite Panthip Plaza and another on the Maejo road. At least you get some kind of warranty. Another place might be Expatauto in Chiangmai. They seem to do a thorough check on the vehicles and then offer a warranty. I checked their website yesterday and they had a 2008 Mitsubishi Triton,2 door, 2WD, 2.5 litre. I think the price was about 510,000.

What about trying one of the Toyota Sure places? I think there is one opposite Panthip Plaza and another on the Maejo road. At least you get some kind of warranty. Another place might be Expatauto in Chiangmai. They seem to do a thorough check on the vehicles and then offer a warranty. I checked their website yesterday and they had a 2008 Mitsubishi Triton,2 door, 2WD, 2.5 litre. I think the price was about 510,000.

Have heard good things about ExpatAuto. They can source a car for you if you indicate what you are looking for and will do a technical checkup of the car and offer a limited guarantee on the car.

checked their website yesterday and they had a 2008 Mitsubishi Triton,2 door, 2WD, 2.5 litre. I think the price was about 510,000.

I just saw a 2.5 VG (new type engine 178 bhp variable nozzle) one 2011 for 550 asking with 'can discount' said as I walked away..

510 on an 08 seems a shocker to me.

Thanks for the tips gents. Keeping my ear to the ground on most of the web sites, thanks for all the finger pointing.

Expat Auto I've heard some not nice things about them from people. People that i know that had personal experiences with them and were pleased...... were to phrase it bluntly, ignorant.

I'm at a difficult price level where most of the cars have had multiple owners and enough time has passed to allow plenty of shoddy repairs. Difficult hunting grounds. Since I'm only using the truck to haul dirt bikes to riding areas and nothing more I've no interest in spending good money on one. No kids nor wife to shuttle and all my traveling is via motorbike or plane. So a cheaper truck fits the bill. Unless I should decide to get married and have children???? Nope.

Again thanks all for the tips.

One good thing I've learned is that since a lot of Thai repair jobs are too cheap to use OEM gaskets though they are available here, they use RTV goop, and it leaves a telltale sign that parts have been removed and reinstalled....translation: non OEM repairs inside.

4 year old Vigo if it was me.

Strong money tho.. At 4 year old your into the 500 range and up.

Did you see the ranger I sent you today ?? sent FB, whatsapp, and SMS but no response.

True but if his budget for this is 250 - 350 ish then a 4 year old 4x4 vigo aint on the shopping list.

^ why a 4x4 if you got a dirt bike in the back of it 555

Geez,i've got friends who swear by their Mitsubushi Tritons and i've had a Chev Colorado that was hand picked form 450 cars that has run faultlessly for 5 years now. I think brand name means FA.It's down to the individual unit in the end when it comes to used.

All the modern generation of the Thai made diesel pickups are top notch!

Just a thought. CR has a multitude of the things for sale,maybe a trip up on the NSR and a look around might turn up something that's suitable,then truck the bike back in it?

Super easy to sell a Vigo after 2/ 3 years use.

^ why a 4x4 if you got a dirt bike in the back of it 555

Geez,i've got friends who swear by their Mitsubushi Tritons and i've had a Chev Colorado that was hand picked form 450 cars that has run faultlessly for 5 years now. I think brand name means FA.It's down to the individual unit in the end when it comes to used.

Just a thought. CR has a multitude of the things for sale,maybe a trip up on the NSR and a look around might turn up something that's suitable,then truck the bike back in it?

You cant feel a huge quality gap between isuzu etc and the toyota / triton / etc.. The rattles you get out of the cheaper common rails is just nasty. Dodgers top spec Chev which I used for a couple of days to move house had perhaps the worst auto box I have ever driven, never in the right gear.

- - - Updated - - -

That work with wives as well?

With those the running cost becomes the primary consideration IMO.

Super easy to sell a Vigo after 2/ 3 years use.

Fully agreed.. I think 400k on a well owned but older vigo is a much better spend than 250k on a much rougher many owner old grandis / ranger / etc.

The price band he wants to spend is one where theres not a lot. But the ranger I sent him yesterday might be worth seeing.

Dodgers top spec Chev which I used for a couple of days to move house had perhaps the worst auto box I have ever driven, never in the right gear.

- - - Updated - - .

I had one of those but the 5spd manual and it was a horrible engine for highway use but would have been good for 4x4ing.
All the pull was just above idle and the more you revved it the less it seemed to have.

That was the older 2005 3L Isuzu engine that are also in the Chev's.

Thanks Sefton.

He sent me an email with some additional pics and I've been calling and emailing to set-up a time to view it but no response yet.

Regarding ride quality, the 10 year old Isuzu's have been far better than even the new Toyota Vigo's I've ridden in. Toyota's feel soft and mushy whereas Isuzu's felt more direct, with little body roll in the corners compared to the Toyota's that list a lot more.

To clarify it need not be a 4 X 4.

I'd still get a Toyota if I was you.

Thanks Sefton.

He sent me an email with some additional pics and I've been calling and emailing to set-up a time to view it but no response yet.

Regarding ride quality, the 10 year old Isuzu's have been far better than even the new Toyota Vigo's I've ridden in. Toyota's feel soft and mushy whereas Isuzu's felt more direct, with little body roll in the corners compared to the Toyota's that list a lot more.

To clarify it need not be a 4 X 4.

Holy thread Necro Batman..

Back
Top Bottom