Shift lever slippage on the transmission selector shaft...help!

Grathiam

Bikes
Suzuki 250XC Djebel, F650GS, Honda Dream
Recently, I've been plagued with the shift lever coming loose on the transmission selector shaft, on my old dirt bike,
making gear changes unreliable and sometimes impossible! I just had the engine re-built and I'd like to use it!

Re-tightening the bolt on the shift lever has only helped temporarily.
Recently, I tried using an application of Loctite on the shifter bolt and also between the shifter and transmission shaft,
which resolved the problem, but again only temporarily.

Desperate, I've even considered a spot weld to hold the shifter on the selector, but that's not feasible
as the selector shaft is steel and the shifter is aluminum.
Maybe a dose of epoxy steel filler, between the shifter and transmission shaft might do the trick....??

Thoughts?

How bad is the spline on the shaft? if that's worn smooth you're shit outa luck, without resorting to something drastic like drilling a hole through both then using a roll pin or drill & tap a small hole in the end of the shaft & the lever then put a plate across with 2 small bolts in them.
Everything is fixable, just depends on how far you want to go.

Remove the bolt and replace it with a longer bolt and lock nut. Use a grade 8 or 9 bolt.

Footpeg.jpg

If the splined shaft and matching teeth are still in good condition - Red locktite on the threads , spring washer and lock nut.

You can also put the lever in a vice and squeeze the ends together and cut a bigger slot in it with a hack saw so that it then tightens more.

That or the bolt through the middle will give it a lot more life.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions.....my shifter problem is now resolved!

I went to the moto (not motorcycle) shop who has maintained my moto for years and am often surprised by his ingenuity.
He waved me off as well as the red loctite and steel epoxy cement I'd brought with me.
He cut the head off of a standard rocker type moto shifter as well as the head off of my shifter.
He TIG welded the moto shifter to my shifter lever...and all is now well with my dirt-bike!
Then, he shared lunch with me, which he makes daily for his staff. Spicy fish and beef dishes...excellent!
Not a bad deal, free lunch and shifter fixed for 150-Bt!

Later, I will add some loctite to the shifter bolt...just in case.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions.....my shifter problem is now resolved!

I went to the moto (not motorcycle) shop who has maintained my moto for years and am often surprised by his ingenuity.
He waved me off as well as the red loctite and steel epoxy cement I'd brought with me.
He cut the head off of a standard rocker type moto shifter as well as the head off of my shifter.
He TIG welded the moto shifter to my shifter lever...and all is now well with my dirt-bike!
Then, he shared lunch with me, which he makes daily for his staff. Spicy fish and beef dishes...excellent!
Not a bad deal, free lunch and shifter fixed for 150-Bt!

Later, I will add some loctite to the shifter bolt...just in case.

All`s well that ends well.

It does pay to keep an eye on the shift lever bolt because if they come loose they do cause some damage to the spline.

Back
Top Bottom