Piecing together and mapping Omkoi

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
With Lone Rider's guidance & track data from Colin/ Captn Slash, we've been putting together tracks around the Omkoi region. Firstly linking up the southern end of R 1099/ Mae Tuen through to R 105/ Mae Sot.

Mae Tuen (southern end of R 1099) link up's in the links below:

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...koi-r-1099-finally-linked-trails-mae-sot.html

8664222399_ee866a92ac_b.jpg

& here

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...9-linking-omkoi-r-1099-r-105-northen-way.html

After this was completed, some exploratory data collection west of Omkoi, probing around, trying to find a way westwards to R 105 at the Thai/ Myanmar border. More on that below:

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...ports/3757-mapping-unmapped-omkoi-beauty.html

LR has done some work looking at this area west of Omkoi & it looks like there is a way through which confirms what the locals were telling us.

Check out the map below & you can see where the trail is, leading SW of Omkoi

9659491021_bd00e7e12d_b.jpg

This area is still very exciting and unexplored, with beautiful, remote, Karen villages along the way.

9662632296_de04f1741f_b.jpg

As a relevant side note, I just checked & it's now possible to ride from Mae Sot / Tak to Mae Hong Son nearly off road all the way & it will be rout-able on the new version North Thailand Road & Off-Road GPS map when released shortly. This route that I made on a beta version was 713km of mostly trails.

9659735861_4ae4c71e23_b.jpg

This is brilliant news Phil, between us all the map is getting a lot fuller

After doing the Umpang track, this is where I planned on riding for the trip back up to Chiang Mai.
If I find anything new, I'll surely let you know.
What are your plans after doing the track Phil? I think I have talked Bob into hanging around for a bit.
Only 14 weeks to go.

After doing the Umpang track, this is where I planned on riding for the trip back up to Chiang Mai.
What are your plans after doing the track Phil? I think I have talked Bob into hanging around for a bit.
Only 14 weeks to go.

Was just thinking something similar. Would be a great trip from MHS all the way to Umphang then south to whatever the place is at the start of the Umphang trail, then return the same way. Must be ateast a 6 day adventure.
i would def be up for that when the dry season arrives.

Was just thinking something similar. Would be a great trip from MHS all the way to Umphang then south to whatever the place is at the start of the Umphang trail, then return the same way. Must be ateast a 6 day adventure.
i would def be up for that when the dry season arrives.

I up for it, would like to get the data of how much concrete is un-avoidable.

Only 14 weeks to go.

Pounce, Bob was here last night, looks like the schedule is all under control

Back
Top Bottom