Bikes
BMW 310GS Honda Wave 125 Honda MSX 125
IMG_5828.jpg
Picked the KLX 150 up this morning
IMG_5832.jpg
Riding over the Ping river and nice views
IMG_5831.jpg

IMG_5830.jpg
First stop was to get a letter of residence and it seems that getting one on a tourist visa is not a problem, or so they told me.
I paid 500 Baht and was told to go back tomorrow to get it, I was also told that this is a free service if you wait a month for it
IMG_5835.jpg
Then it was to the seat upholsterer on Moon Muang road at N18.79305 E098.99358
IMG_5833.jpg

IMG_5834.jpg

IMG_5836.jpg

IMG_5837.jpg

IMG_5838.jpg
This is my seat until I get mine back on wednesday
IMG_5840.jpg
Beef biryani
IMG_5845.jpg
Chicken biryani 90 Baht the lot

nice and light why did u choose the 150 over the 250??? are u planning more off road stuff???

The only thing that concerns me is I wonder if you will destroy the clutch plates with more feathering of the clutch needed (to get to where there is power at higher RPM's) on steep off-road sections?

The reason is because the 250 was too high for me.
I started getting into exploring the off road on my Honda Phantom 6 years ago and my one wish then was that Honda would put the Phantom engine into a low trail bike chassis, sadly they didn't.
That bike had enough power for me and took me many places that I wouldn't dream of taking the 250 KLX, ie through lots of river crossings.
I could get off and walk it through and I had both feet on the ground.
The KLX 150 is hopefully that bike Honda sadly never made, its probably about the same power but much better off road.
There are some tracks I partly rode on the 250 in the Nan area particularly that I now wish to fully explore with more confidence

The reason is because the 250 was too high for me.....

Yes, sometimes less is more!! Having gotten rid of my SV650S for an Aprilia Shiver, I've gone in the reverse direction, and it's certainly true that a tall bike is not as easy to throw around!! I see from other posts you are already stacking on some kilometers!!. Green with envy!

IMG_6243.jpg
Got this aluminium bashplate today for 1800 Baht, a steel one was only 1000 but weighed a ton
IMG_6237.jpg

IMG_6235.jpg
The sprockets were also changed today, one less on the front and one more on the back will hopefully make it better offroad.
One final touch was putting on a folding gear lever from a KLX 250, hopefully the bike is now to my requirements

When are you out here again Jim?
Late January/early Feb at this stage, Colin. Not the best air quality I know, but that's how things are panning out..
Nice work with the bash plate! Though it could be worthwhile finding some way of protecting those protruding bolt heads, at least on their forward sides, so they don't snag debris like vines, or get sheared on a rock :o

Well, we'll surely share a beer or two then .. :) :banana:
cheers

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Captain_Slash Captain Slash Reports Thailand 2