Nanthaburi National Park, Nan

Oddvar

Bikes
CRF250L-CRM250-Beta 270-CB650F-Valkyrie 1520
I did the 1082 from Tha Wang Pha via Ban Sop Khun to Ban Santisuk in Ban Luang.
Along 1082 I saw a lot of new farmland to the south and decided to check it out.
There is a lot of tracks from Google Earth, not reliable here. Some from OSM but not complete.
I decided to start from the south side of the mountain in Ban Santipap.
The first day I explored the eastern tracks and the valley to the east.
I found 2 not mapped tracks that took me all the way to 1082.
The next day I explored the western tracks and found a unmapped track that took me to the western valley and on to 1082.
GPX files at the end.
Loop.jpg

The missing 1172 is a mystery to me. Some locals say there is no trail through. Some locals say there is fallen trees. Some locals says there is a landslide that took a large part of the trail. Will get a chainsaw, some buddy's and check this out later.
However in TourismThailand.org - The official travel information website for tourists visiting Thailand I found this about 1172. Can anyone shed some light on this road?
Doi Pha Chi FromNan, take Highway No. 1091 for 40 kilometers until reaching Ban Luang district and take Highway No. 1172 to Ban Phi Nuea to Doi Pha Chi for 30 kilometers. Doi Pha Chi was once a stronghold of communist insurgents, whose equipments such as the electricity generator and water pipes still remain in the area.
Nanthaburi%20National%20Park%201.jpg

These are two dead ends. Google maps is full of tracks here, but not in the real life. Maybe in a few years.

Nanthaburi%20National%20Park%202.jpg

This is just south of 1082 and linking up the eastern valley with 1082. A couple of hundreds metre was a bit steep, but no real problem. Not even with worn down tyres.

Nanthaburi%20National%20Park%203.jpg

This is from Aukes map.

Nanthaburi%20National%20Park%204.jpg

This is the entrance to 1082.

Nanthaburi%20National%20Park%205.jpg

Chinese money here to. This is on the road to Ban Santipap.

Nanthaburi%20National%20Park%206.jpg

This is an interesting "intersection" more or less at the top of this mountain.
The trail to the right goes down to the eastern valley and either back to Tha Wang Pha or north to 1082.
The middle trail goes around the mountain top and turns westward and link up to the western valley and many trails take you to 1082.
The left trail goes west and I explored it a bit. Need to spend more time on that one, with buddy's as they become single trails and steep.

Nanthaburi%20National%20Park%2015.jpg

This is about how far I checked out the western/left trail.

Nanthaburi%20National%20Park%207.jpg

High light of the day. Finding a place for lunch and a nap. Nice and cool breeze here and over looking the eastern valley.

Nanthaburi%20National%20Park%208.jpg

Thanks to some rain the night before the haze was not too bad.

Nanthaburi%20National%20Park%209.jpg

The dead end in the eastern valley. Eastern part.

Nanthaburi%20National%20Park%2010.jpg

I had a chat with a local here and shared a 7-11 sandwich with him. He did not speak one understandable word of Thai.
I forgot to take a picture of him.

Nanthaburi%20National%20Park%2011.jpg

This land slide served as a landmark in the eastern valley. 1082 is just above.

Nanthaburi%20National%20Park%2012.jpg

This is south of Ban Santipap. End of track too. But my worn down tyre stopped me from trying to push further on.

Nanthaburi%20National%20Park%2013.jpg

This is north of Ban Santipap. I stopped here but the track continued a bit further in to a steep valley. But with riding buddy's..next time.

Nanthaburi%20National%20Park%2014.jpg

Progress!

Nanthaburi%20National%20Park%2016.jpg

Into the western valley. This track and 1082 make a loop around the new farmland. On the ridges all the time.

Nanthaburi%20National%20Park%2018.jpg

I had a go on the east side of Nan past Ban Huai Huea but stopped here because of my worn down tyres.
This is not far from where I ended up in the stream the day before in Ban Santipap.

Nanthaburi%20National%20Park%2020.jpg

But I found a nice Lunch spot here too.

Nanthaburi%20NP%20SW%201.jpg

A few days later I came via Ban Santisuk and over to Ban Sop Khun. And followed the southern trail.
I forgot my camera this day. All pics from the GoPro. GPX at the end.

Nanthaburi%20NP%20SW%202.jpg

This is from a little detour i took. The trail goes on the top of the ridge.

Nanthaburi%20NP%20SW%203.jpg

New vast farmland to the north, and pristine jungle to the south. And these guys have gasoline and matches...

Nanthaburi%20NP%20SW%209.jpg

No sign of anyone trying to pass this fallen tree. No match for my Laos Jungle Machete. It deserves it's place on the bike.

Nanthaburi%20NP%20SW%2010.jpg

A nice ride. Most of it in the shades. And this trial lead up to the trail I found a few days ago connecting Ban Santipap with the western valley.

Nanthaburi%20Westeren%20part.jpg

GPX here.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u... April 2014/Nanthaburi westeren part.gpx?dl=1

Nanthaburi%20Google.jpg

Due to the USB on my Garmin stopped working, the rest of the GPX file is in one large GPX file covering most of my riding in this area.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...i April 2014/Nanthaburi incl 8 April.gpx?dl=1
The riding is not too complicated here. There is no food or water available unless you go to the outskirts of the valleys.
I will go back and spend more time there.
Would be nice if there is a real trail through 1172. The we will have "The Nan Loop".

Great looking trail and nice pictures Oddvar thanks for posting

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Congratulations on finding some more unmapped tracks out in that area Oddvar

The missing 1172 is a mystery to me. Some locals say there is no trail through. Some locals say there is fallen trees. Some locals says there is a landslide that took a large part of the trail. Will get a chainsaw, some buddy's and check this out later.
However in TourismThailand.org - The official travel information website for tourists visiting Thailand I found this about 1172. Can anyone shed some light on this road?

Doi Pha Chi FromNan, take Highway No. 1091 for 40 kilometers until reaching Ban Luang district and take Highway No. 1172 to Ban Phi Nuea to Doi Pha Chi for 30 kilometers. Doi Pha Chi was once a stronghold of communist insurgents, whose equipments such as the electricity generator and water pipes still remain in the area.

The riding is not too complicated here. There is no food or water available unless you go to the outskirts of the valleys.
I will go back and spend more time there.
Would be nice if there is a real trail through 1172. The we will have "The Nan Loop".

Oddvar, I guess that this is what you are looking for: Nan-Pong-Through-The-Mountains-Offroad-to-Sop-Khun. Captain Slash who rode a Phantom at that time has included his GPS track. At that time the road down from Doi Pha Chi down to the east was a trail and it may well be that it is no longer passable as the locals indicate but it is certainly worth a try.

Looks like Colin and yourself will have that Nan area all mapped in no time.

Great exploring documentation, thank you.

That is the "big" loop. I did that both ways, and about 6-7 hours. That is what caught my attention about the mountain north of Ban Santipap.
1172.jpg

It's the elusive 1172 I am looking for. If we can ride that we will have a great dirt loop in Nan with multiple choices in the eastern part. And most of the trails can be ridden in the wet season as well. I found many places that will have a stunning view once the air is clear.

Apologies, I thought that you were looking for the part that goes east from the junction to Ban Sop Khun. If I am not mistaken, Mark Rossi road the part from the junction south to Ban Phi/Ban Luang sometime around 2007/8 I think. I'll see if I can dig out his ride report. Not sure if it still there as a lot of the older posts made by people who are now no longer welcome on the other forum have disappeared.

Hopefully this Topo map will show better the "unmapped" trials I found.
Just a hand drawing roughly indicating which tracks I rode that was not on any of the maps that I have.
Topo%20Nanthaburi.jpg

Nice work Oddvar.

If a decent loop is found out there i'd love to have a bash at it later in the year.

Not sure if this helps you with Rd. 1172 but attached are screenshots of the old military topo maps I have of that area.

Capture 5047II.JPG

Capture 5046I top.JPG

Capture 5046I bottom.jpg

The hunt for 1172 continues.
1172%20Map.jpg

I came from the North this time. And the jungle started where Google Earth show a lot of jungle too.
The farmers I talked to confirmed that "Years" ago it was possible to ride a bike through. They did not mention Tigers, mines, communist as the Forrest Rangers in the south said. But they did mention a land slide!

1172%20North%201.jpg

A tiny bit of tarmac left confirms that this has been a controversial road project.

1172%20North%202.jpg

This is the only "bombed out" bridge on the North side. There is two more on the south side. "Bombed out" as well.

1172%20North%203.jpg

This is as far as I came this time. About 6 km as the crow flies remains.

To be continued..

This is what Nanthaburi National Park has revealed this “Dry Season”.
The only significant trails are the “Suan Ya Luang” and Doi Pha Chang.

2015%20New%20trails%20Nanthaburi%20copy.jpg

Doi Pha Chang is a Wild life preserve area but don’t expect to se much of that, however, you will se many locals with rifles. I saw some with new rifles and scopes too. A sniper worthy?

Suan Ya Luang came as a big surprise. A nice ride up from Ban San Charoen through fruit trees and into the jungle. The top is about 1600 MSL and fairly bare with a very nice view in all directions. It even got a camping ground that is staffed during holidays in the peak season.
Many large trees falls down on the west side, so make sure you have fuel to turn around!

Do Wao is another peak around 1600 MSL, not part of a loop but a really nice ride with continually changing nature. There is a camping ground at the Forrest ranger station a few km of 1082.

Colin found the “Yellow loop” at the south side. We tried this one earlier this year but one bike did not manage to get through the tall grass.
Later this year this trail was cleared by the locals. It was not cleared last year.

All “significant” trails have been uploaded to OSM.

Back
Top Bottom