My Nan Loop (kind of) ride

WarProfiteer

Bikes
currently renting & deciding
Leaving in a couple of days. A buddy and I are planning a 3 day ride... 107-1322-1178-1340-1089, stop... then the next day to Nan via 1089, 1098, 101... then return via 101-1023-11... basically head north & west for a bit of a ride near the Burma border, then circle clockwise along the north, over towards the border w/ Laos, then south to Nan, then return. Slightly over 1000 kilometers of good twistys over 3 days...

NanRun_zps4cfbd998.png

I'll be on an ER6N from C&P Service. Hoping those roads are all relatively good condition right now, so I wont regret not taking the CB500X.

Open to suggestions regarding places to stay in Nan (I have the ones from the board here), as well as anything entertaining I might look into while there.

On the first night, along the 1089 we're playing it by ear, regarding the stop. He seems to want to stop at Tha Ton, but I'd rather press on to Mae Chan (where the 1089 ends at the 1- about an hour further). We'll just see how we feel, what the weather's doing and what time it is... delayed starts are always a possibility.

Anyway, wish me luck... input always welcome...

Kevin - This is "THE" awesome nan loop & can be done in 2 days:

Chiang Mai - Nan loop - CNX - 118 - 120 - 1 - 1021 - 1148 - 1080 - 1091 - 1251 - 1021 - 1 - 120 - 118 - CNX

Distance : 662km

Can be done comfortably in 2 days.

The R 1148 is one of the best roads in SE Asia, due to its racetrack perfect curves, great surface & lack of traffic, a must if you visit Thailand on a motorcycle. The R 1091/ R 1251 loop back from Nan towards Chiang Mai are also great roads. When arriving in Nan, there are endless fantastic roads in the region, spending a few days in Nan poking around is highly advisable.

^ the 1091 to the west of Nan through Ban Luang and Chiang Muan is a classic...heaps of new hot mix tar sections last time i did it 6 weeks or so ago and some lovely scenery. Actually i prefer it to the 1148 these days.

Taking in the suggestions and will discuss w/ my cohort.

Where is the nightlife in Nan? What hotels are in walking distance?

Anyone have a recommendation for Mae Chang hotels or restaurants?

*Also, did you ever get any 2XL Mae Hong Son loop shirts in, Phil?

^ the 1091 to the west of Nan through Ban Luang and Chiang Muan is a classic...heaps of new hot mix tar sections last time i did it 6 weeks or so ago and some lovely scenery. Actually i prefer it to the 1148 these days.

I believe this is the way we're doing... along the 1091...

Hi, hope to see you at tony's place in Nan.

Heads up, there is a sports event at Rajamangala university june 22 to july 2 (roughly) we are expecting 10,000 people. The athletes will be housed at the uni but the coaches and family will be staying in hotels, I would suggest booking ahead for a room so there are no surprises. There is a nan accommodation thread with phone numbers.

Have a great tour!

We'll be there for dinner on the 21st, Marcus. Look for the big shave-headed lout that looks a little too much like he just got out of prison. Hell, I even randomly choke out innocent she-woks...

RNC_zps6ea6ea3a.jpg

I swear I'm not actually all that mean... I'm just drawn that way...

Had dinner and drinks w/ Phil tonight in Riders. Great suggestions and input. Very cool to meet Lone Rider as well. Good peoples!

Meeting with my riding buddy tomorrow to discuss the route and Phil's suggestions... biggest one being that I'd like to try to work in the Bo Klua loop... not sure if it'll be at all possible, but I'd like to try.

For anyone interested, I have a (nother) thread going about the Honda CB500 Vs the ER6N, as choices for 'first bike'. I took the CB500X for a 1000 kilometer, 3 day ride on my modified Mae Hong Son loop last month. Now I am taking an ER6N on a 1000 kilometer, 3 day modified Nan loop. These are basically the two bikes that are my choice for starter bikes. I have ridden the ER6N twice on day loops. I have also ridden the CB500F, which I thought was good in some areas, but probably not for multi day trips. The 500X was better for multiday, (possible) multi terrain trips. The forks are longer (perhaps the ones off the CRF?) and the rake is different, which gives the X it's taller stance than the F. The tires, bars and seats are also different. Otherwise, they're about the same. Still, between the F and the X, making the decision with my head rather than my heart would mean the X was the clear winner. I do like the aesthetics of the F though... but it's just not as tall and comfortable.

So that makes it a competition between the ER6N and 500X. I've taken the 500X on a long ride, so now it's time to try out the ER6N for 1000 twisty kilometers over 3 days. We'll see which I feel better about. Up to now, I've felt the ER6N was the more fun bike, but the 500X was a better all arounder with more versatility, better gas mileage and a significantly lower price tag. I think this trip will settle for me which bike will be the one chosen in the near future. Both are excellent starter bikes, imo... but there can be only one!!!

Highlander_zps8a515b3a.jpg

ER6N is rented and ready. Took it up to Doi Suthep just get a feel for it again. Nice little bike. Feels like quite a bit more torque than the CB500X, but it could just be me.

A few things I've noticed already... on the 500X I never noticed any heat at all. On the ER6N I can feel the heat on my legs. It's not bad at all, just something I can notice whereas on the 500X I didn't notice it at all. It's probably less than my friend's 250 ninja, which is good for a 650 bike.

The riding position of the ER6 is more upright than the 500F, but not as totally up and down as the 500X. It's about half way in between. I imagine if the 500F had a bar swap for the bigger bars of the 500X, this would be about the riding position you'd end up with. It's nice.

That said, I really dont like the placement of the rear brake lever on the ER6. Last time after doing just 5 hours on that bike, I had a bit of limp the next day. Your foot's just a bit too extended for comfort. The lever needs to be dropped a good 3 inches at least. As a result, when riding it now I just keep my foot pointed downward, resting comfortably on the peg, and I only use the front brake to slow down.

And the last little thing is that it wouldn't seem like it helps make that much a difference, but that little mini-windscreen on the 500X really is missed on the ER6N. I mean, I know the styling is supposed to be like naked bike styling, but when you start pushing past 100, the wind difference is quite noticeable.

Still, I love the look and sound and feel of the ER6N. Should be quite interesting to see what my final thoughts are after being on it for 3 days straight.

xxx

Attachments

• burn1-1.jpg
    burn1-1.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,252
Last edited:
The problem is obvious to me... your skin is white.

Farang = source of all problems in Thailand... Thai scientists have proven this fact in laboratory experiments.

Grand adventures start early. Fairly often, they start too early. For those fond of late nights and fermented drink, it makes for cloudy beginnings. And on this auspicious day, the weather matched my mindset. Cloudy, with a chance of chaos.

As per usual, there was a delay. It involved children, fine silk dresses and a frenetic morning delivery. The details are hazy to me, even now. What it meant was starting one hour later than planned. I looked at my bed and sighed. It had practically begged me to sleep in and I foolishly arose anyway.

Once underway, it occurred to me that perhaps riding with a relaxed, some might say "unfocused", mind and normal pulse rate might be a bad idea. We were pushing north through the early morning roadway mayhem, fighting the city's working residents and overloaded delivery vehicles beginning their daily routes. As I cruised lazily in the left lane, a truck overloaded with Burmese laborers swooped into my lane just a few feet in front of me. Instantly, all I could see were brown, undersized people in dirty clothes all staring at me and the bike as if I were in storm trooper gear riding a bantha. Because I generally prefer seeing the forward space that I am hurdling into, I quickly swerved into right lane, only to discover the reason the other vehicle had quickly swerved into my lane… Somechai the farmer in his rusty old truck, stopped completely in a high speed lane, turn signal on to indicate a right turn, directly beside a large sign saying in both Thai and English "No U-turn". Time did that helpful slowing down thing, like in The Matrix. I touched brakes but realized quickly there was no way I'd ever stop in time. I threw the bike and myself back to the left as hard as I could. The very end of the handle bars and my knee took a hard thump, enough to actually jolt Somchai's pick'em up, but I survived the incident.

I was now very, very awake.

Breathing a sigh of relief, I looked up to see 20 sets of Burmese eyes, wide as saucers, then slowly they all broke into large grins. Under the helmet, I was not smiling. My pulse was now 260/120 and my system felt like someone had just dumped a bucket load of stimulant into me. I pulled over to check the bike… and my trousers.

My riding buddy, henceforth "RB", pulled up alongside and said "I saw that unfold from about 20 feet back. From my angle, I could see why they swooped over in front of ya. When you veered around them on the right I was thinking 'oh damn'… are you ok?"

Preferring not to make a big deal out of it, I said "Yeah, whacked my knee pretty good, but the bike seems to be OK. Let's get out of here." I decided to stay in the left lane until we were clear of the disorder of the morning commute.

Once we were clear and the road went down to 2 lanes that wandered to and fro, my pulse returned to normal. We pulled into a gas station. A quick break for water and a tire check, then it was up the 107 to Chaing Dao.

100_6463_zps2968c82a.jpg

Once there, we turned off on the 1322 and had an amazing 90 minute mountain ride out to Wiang Haeng, even passing a slithering 6 foot brown cobra along the way. The road was perfectly twisty the surface was good. A few scenic places to stop for shots (and to pee in the woods) along the way...

100_6469_zpsb5eeafa4.jpg

100_6466_zps74256b7b.jpg

There wasn't much to the town of Wiang Haeng, but they did have a 7-11 and a small gas station. As we ate our off-the-shelf chemical lunches and drank a soda, I noticed there were quite a lot of hilltribe people in traditional dress, mixing with the locals. And although I could understand some Thai words here and there, it seemed far more local dialect was being spoken than "real" Thai. Or perhaps it was full Burmese. I shrugged it off as unimportant, but later this observation would come into play.

IMG_1574_zpsbd8aa2fa.jpg

Our plan was to loop around using the 1178, which our map showed as a 3, on a scale of 1-5. Usable road that might be bumpy from lots of patchwork, but easily ridden on a street bike. We found the turn off and headed toward the border, only to find that the road quickly stopped being a road and turned more a rocky patch of dirt that many people obviously traversed. This road had obviously not been a 3 for a very, very long time.
We doubled back towards town and asked some locals how long the dirt portion of the road lasted, thinking perhaps it was only a few kilometers of rough surface, but then we'd hit some magical patch of great tarmac and continue our journey. No dice though, as we couldn't make ourselves understood. Even some teeny girls who had been flirting with us proved useless. RB got a Thai speaker on the phone and explained that we needed to know how long the bad portion of the 1178 lasted. In the meantime, I had called over the teeny girl gang that had gathered to stare at the oversized white invaders, and they began to fumble through awkward English greetings. One, obviously the leader, batted her 14 year old eyes, struck a pose and said "herro, my name is [enter something Burmese and impronouncable here], what is your…"

"Here" RB thrust his phone in her face "talk to my wife."

The device was passed to all 4 girls, but each quickly gave up trying to understand the jabbering Thai coming through the phone. They shook their heads and dismissed the phone as obviously dysfunctional. Then they went back to smiling and preening and posturing for us in a near-comical way. I am sure that in the remote areas a 14 year old needs to start thinking seriously about finding a husband, but in the farang world we need you to be about a decade older, honey. Sorry.

We asked another group of ladies, this time much older ones. They smiled kindly and indicated via hand gestures that this was indeed the right road, but that it was all dirt.

IMG_1576_zps751b59cd.jpg

We returned to the 7-11. Or, I should say, I returned to the 7-11. Somehow RB disappeared over the last 10 kilometers back to town. I waited. Eventually he appeared, saying he'd pulled over because he saw a restaurant with a lot of English signage, thinking perhaps there might be a farang owner. No one working there spoke English, but one gal excitedly asked him to wait while an English speaker was fetched. Sure enough, the gal quickly returned with a tall, unconvincing ladyboy. She assured him that the upper part of the 1178 was unpassable in parts to all but dirt bikes. His speedbike and my naked would do us no good.

I looked up, smiled and said wistfully "All part of the adventure, right?"

So we doubled back through the mountains, having now added hours of extra riding to our day, but enjoying a fair amount of adventure along the way. Th weather had cooperated too, only occasionally sprinkling and cooling things off. We got back to the main road, the 107, and took it north to Mae Ai. It was a quaint little town. I was surprised to see a few other groups of farangs around. Backpacker types. Still, we were pretty far off the beaten path.
It was now past 4pm… 7.5 hours of saddle time had gone by… my knee was starting a steady, dull ache that I knew would turn into an impressive bruise and limp within a day. RB said "Do we push on to Mae Chan or stay here? There's quite a few little guest houses around that little river area."

I squinted up at the sky. All clear. Probably 2.5 hours of day light left.

He continued "I feel fine, man. Plenty of daylight left. Only an hour or so to go if we want to stick to our original plan."

I nodded and we pushed on, turning towards Mae Chan on the 1089. I'm glad we did. It doesn't happen often in a man's life, but sometimes god puts his big arm around you, pulls you aside and proudly says "let me show ya what I made". As RB pushed ahead, I lagged further and further behind. I was literally dumbstruck at just how beautiful this area was. It was like some CGI scene out of a Peter Jackson film. I was so amazed at times, it felt like an actual weight on my chest. I silently repeated to myself "Don't forget this, you wandering fiend… some things are worth locking away in your memory banks forever."

IMG_1579_zpsa5ab46e8.jpg

IMG_1572_zps86bd3ddf.jpg

IMG_1582_zps2f4b8d2a.jpg

Eventually RB came speeding towards me, as he'd doubled back, questioning what had happened. I hand signaled that I'd been taking pictures, he nodded and we rolled on. This time he let me set the pace and just cruised behind me. We lazily wandered, as I tried to soak in all that I could. Whatever I'd done to earn this hour of stunning wonder, I can't imagine it. But I'm deeply grateful.

I wasn't the only one who seemed to have noticed how remarkable that area is. Along that route, as we passed through various small villages and towns, I noticed churches, mosques and uncountable temples. It seemed everyone wanted to pay homage to the creator for making this their home. I wanted to stop and take more pictures, but I knew I'd held us up long enough already.

We eventually arrived in Mae Chan and began the search for a hotel. RB had once stayed here with an NGO outfit, saying the hotel (RimChan Resort) was nice and priced reasonably and less than a mile up the road. We found it easily and the price was just 700 baht for a bungalow, including breakfast. Although the fixtures are quite old, the grounds are very open and kept up nicely. Hell, there's even a decent pool! As we chatted on the porches of our respective bungalows, a trio of Thai gals in their 20's strolled by, with very direct looks thrown our way. Two of the girls had fair sized tattoos on their arms and backs. Hmmm… what be this? They smiled, but moved on. After over 8.5 hours of riding, I wasn't too dead to notice them, but I didn't have the energy to pursue.

We unpacked and headed out for food and room snacks. On the way out of the hotel, I noticed something I hadn't before… along the entry way to the hotel there were several small massage shops… the kind with private rooms upstairs and a few 20-something cuties working in each. Now I knew where the gals had come from. There was even a night club, where I assume all the gals would likely congregate to drink and dance after work. A target rich environment to be sure.

Mae Chan didn't seem to have any restaurants that interested us, so we opted for street food (fried chicken), supplemented by 7-11 supplies (beer, chips, and Tylenol for my knee). We ate in the rooms, made our requisite calls home, then crashed early. All-in-all, it was a good day, though the 1178 dirt fiasco had cost us some hours. For me, the last hour along the 1089 between Mae Ai & Mae Chan had made all the difference. I made a promise to myself to return and ride that stretch again soon. And possibly have a massage.

Until next time…

Some pretty good distance covered in the first day, that unmade section near Waing Haeng (R 1178) goes on for about 16km.

R 1178 unmade.jpg

Looks like your RB found the Cowboy Resort in Wiang Haeng and maybe the only English speaker. The 1089 is indeed a pretty ride, have fun.

She assured him that the upper part of the 1178 was unpassable in parts to all but dirt bikes. His speedbike and my naked would do us no good.

I looked up, smiled and said wistfully "All part of the adventure, right?"

So we doubled back through the mountains, having now added hours of extra riding to our day, but enjoying a fair amount of adventure along the way.

Made the same mistake earlier in the year and turned back and stayed in Chiang Dao as we had come along the 1001 through Phrao....mai pen rai!
Lovely road in and out of Wiang Haeng though.

Looks like your RB found the Cowboy Resort in Wiang Haeng and maybe the only English speaker. The 1089 is indeed a pretty ride, have fun.

Yes indeed, that was the place. Glad it was there, though it was only bad news we got.

Made the same mistake earlier in the year and turned back and stayed in Chiang Dao as we had come along the 1001 through Phrao....mai pen rai!
Lovely road in and out of Wiang Haeng though.

Agreed, great ride getting out there.

If we were on Honda CB500X's, we would've pushed forward without a second's hesitation. We were just on the wrong bikes for that road. As you say, mai pen rai... it was still a good ride.

Jesus loves all of us equally, but some of us are more equal than others. Put bluntly, he favors the bold. Not many understand the system, but I am a man who does. Behind the pearly gates, someone’s running a satellite tv operation and one cant fill the weekly programming requirements of the comedy network with the actions of the meek. No sir. It is we, the foolishly bold, who supply this commodity and it is sunny Jesus himself who encourages it… by favoring the bold.

We somehow started the day completely according to plan. We ate the hotel breakfast at 0700, which wasn’t half bad for rice soup & fried rice, with a side of white rice & egg. We checked out promptly at 0800, and were on the road mere minutes later. I sensed the lord’s hand in this.

The ride started out on straight, smooth roads. Within 30 minutes we were snaking our way through small, forgettable villages at 100 kph, enduring the local patchwork as we rode. RB’s ninja does a poor job of soaking up the bumps. He cursed the gods under his breath as he rode & shook. I think they heard him, which would explain our troubles to come.

Eventually the towns grew more and more scarce as we entered rice farming country. This particular area was quite scenic, as it was surrounded on both sides by mountains. It was quite nice, even if the road was tediously flat and straight. It was at least a smooth surface and there was little traffic.

IMG_1589_zpsad3697bc.jpg

IMG_1588_zps2238bc58.jpg

After an hour or so, we were eventually left to the pure beauty of the 1148. For the uninitiated, the 1148 is supposedly a finer thing than frog’s hair. That’s southern speak for “it’s good”. Think Deliverance, only less rapey.

IMG_1596_zps4a0e96bc.jpg

100_6493_zps4246657f.jpg

And while the day had began quite well, the gods who had been cursed took exception to our fine riding. The downpours started. And so did our troubles.

Unfortunately, RB and I were both so preoccupied with picture taking, we didn’t properly keep track of one another. As he is the rider with three and a half decades of experience, and a relative non-drinker, I count on him to be the reliable end of our team. As the wandering fiend and novice rider, he relies on me to not shoot off alone or injure myself or just generally cause harm to the local populace. He had pulled off the road to shoot some pictures. I didn’t see him- the gods made sure of that. For the next 40 minutes I tried in vain to “catch up” to him, not realizing he was behind me. Just as the thought struck that “maybe he’s not up here… maybe he pulled to the side and I didn’t see him”, the gods laughed and took a giant piss on me. It really, really started to rain. Although my riding jacket is water resistant, it isn’t water proof. As I rode forward, thinking “any second now I’ll see where he took shelter at the side of the road”, the camera in my jacket's front pocket was ruined and I was soon drenched through every layer of clothes. The gods laughed their unforgiving laugh.

Eventually I shot out the other side of the rains, found a high, windy spot and stopped to dry out. I pulled out my phone from an inner pocket, hoping it still worked, and tried to turn it on. Sweet baby Jesus, let it not be ruined like the camera! C’mon you sleep walking, miracle working bastard, it was in my inside pocket FFS! Sure enough it worked. As soon as I cut it on I had messages from RB saying he’d pulled into some nameless town to wait out the rains, helping some poor single lady in a run-down restaurant cook his fried rice. He was 16 kilometers behind me. I refused to ride back through the rains whence I came, so he ate and soon joined me on the side of the hill. A laugh was had by all. Up on high, Jesus DVR’ed it for later.

We then pushed on smartly for Nan, though the rains came and went. Now that we were no longer separated, we could easily decide whether or not to duck for cover occasionally when it started to come down just a bit too hard. At one point we were stuck at a 7-11 for about 45 minutes with a trio of other bikers. Bangkok Thais visiting the north to ride. All were on 1200cc bikes that looked very expensive. The BMW (far right) in particular caught my attention as it seemed to have no frame at all.

100_6496_zps939d77ff.jpg

We exchanged pleasantries and eventually the rains let up enough for us to get back on the road. But this was no day of light sprinkles, and the fully wet roads made me pucker in places I’d prefer not to write about. “Grip” is the safe-word of the day, ok children? Can everyone say “grip”? Good. Now understand that when tearing along at 90 kph, on fully wet roads, normal tires have greatly reduced grip… thus the reason for all the puckering.

RB was setting the pace and I could tell he was more than ready for this day’s ride to be over. Whereas he is normally quite flexible in this regard, today after the rains and the separation and the delays, he was having none of it. His pace said simply “the tires will hold, move your ass”.

And move I did. Jesus favors the bold. Remember that.

Eventually we arrived in Nan. A quick pitstop confirmed that RB’s overly revvy/vibrating ninja had lost one of its manifold bolts. We popped into the China/Italian (all things non-Jap, non-Ducati) bike dealership, where they were overjoyed to actually work on something besides a scooter. They added a bolt & re-tightened the manifold, lubed the chain, and even had the common courtesy to give him a goddamn reach-around. All joking aside, they refused to charge for their services. I was pretty impressed, given Thailand’s reputation for farang rip-off’s.

That said, one very clever fellow noted I was on a rented Kawi ER6N… and immediately wheeled around a Benelli 600 to park beside me. To me the bikes looked identical. I’d never even heard of Benelli, truth be told. But there was no denying the quality. I asked RB, who knows far more than me about such matters, and he assured me that this was indeed a quality bike. It certainly looked the part. And for 30K less than the Kawi, it made for stiff competition. I still have the brochure.

100_6497_zps4a8170a9.jpg

Then it was off to find the hotel. It has a name, but I cannot spell or pronounce it. You’ll just have to play along and pretend we are now in a hotel, ok? Once we had showered off the day’s rains and changed into dry clothes, we headed to Tony’s Place. It’s in the scriptures… if on 2 wheels and visiting Nan, thou shall eat and drink in Tony’s Place. Amen.

So we did. And it was good. Amen.

Even the Thai riders from Bangkok showed up at Tony’s later. One doesn’t go against the grand plan. So after some socializing and local road guidance provided by Tony and Marcus, we headed out, sure of our plan for tomorrow; the Bo Kluea Loop, then head home via the 1091, the 1251, the 120, then the 118 down into Chiang Mai. Approximate drive time, 9 hours with breaks.

Then it was a quick stop off at 7-11 for room supplies, then back to the room. There is a lively club just down the road that looks like a fun nightspot, but I’m too weary from the rains and good food from Tony’s and from the beers consumed. It also doesn’t help that I awoke at 4 am today, unable to get back to sleep. It’s now approaching 10pm and the sandman cometh. There will be no hunt for me. Not this night. For I am the weak. The weary traveler in a very strange land. Heinlein would be damn proud of me. So would Jesus… though not going to the club will surely deny him a few hours of programming. Luckily, that dude is big on forgiveness.

Tune in tomorrow for another exciting adventure…

Seems that if it`s going to rain anywhere it will always be on the 1148.

I like the Benelli but parts would be rarer than rocking horse sh1t!!

Loving it. I remember Nan more for this photo than anything else. I asked this lovely Hilltribe lady, in her best Sunday outfit for a photo

It was only later that the guys told me "she" was ball-bearing, not child-bearing

... and Club X was a happening place the night we visited.

Our friend there's brother, a lad from the village, was too scared to go to the toilet by himself. He paid someone at the next table to escort and protect him in there. I have to say... that place was full of ladyboys, and very attractive ladies.

So.... you'll have to go back there again, eh?

Not so unusual that some of the smaller bike shops in LOS will refuse a charge for carrying out running repairs, gives you a nice feeling that all's well with the world doesn't it. Benelli have been around a very long time, they made a name for themselves producing huge six cylinder monsters back in the day of the Honda CB 750 & 500 that most my age aspired to own, the 250 models had much success in the Isle of man TT.

800px-Benelli_900_Sei_orange.jpg

Nice to see you enjoyed Tony's hospitality, he's a good host and the food is top's.

Enjoy your writing style! :DD

I'm a fan of the 500X (report already on RideAsia), but I'm wondering why you are comparing it with the ER6N and not the Versys.

Exhaust manifold bolt gone, you don't hear of that very often!! Sound like its a great trip so far.

Yeah, he said it started sounding louder than usual when revving, so we pulled over and he had a look at it. He said "Hmmm... that's odd, it's missing one of the bolts holding on the exhaust manifold."

I think I may have said "Jesus did it. Fcuking prankster, that one. It'll play a part in this misadventure somehow."

And indeed it did. Thus the sexy Benelli 600 is now definitely on my radar. More research to follow.

And yeah, helluva trip! I went to Rider's for a celebratory drink or three once I was back in town, as is my custom. No Phil and no Triumph to drool over. It was a bit like going to your favorite girly bar, only to find your friendly mamasan has the night off and your favorite girl has been barfined. Hahaaa!

I like the Benelli but parts would be rarer than rocking horse sh1t!!

I asked the same question, Lew... "what about the parts?". RB assures me there are actually more Benelli dealerships in Chiang Mai than Kawi. And they are manufactured in Thailand. So theoretically, getting the parts shouldn't prove to be a problem. Then again, there was once a widely believed theory that the world was flat... so take it all with a grain of salt.

Loving it. I remember Nan more for this photo than anything else...

LMAO! The room right above you is the one I slept in!!!

A bit of a shame that I missed out on the club. Probably would've had a blast.

Not so unusual that some of the smaller bike shops in LOS will refuse a charge for carrying out running repairs, gives you a nice feeling that all's well with the world doesn't it. Benelli have been around a very long time, they made a name for themselves producing huge six cylinder monsters back in the day of the Honda CB 750 & 500 that most my age aspired to own, the 250 models had much success in the Isle of man TT.

That's what RB said... great company, been around a long, long time, just not as famous or finicky as Ducati. The biggest difference between the Benelli 600 and the Kawi ER6 is that the Benelli is a 4 cylinder. It makes more HP, but much less torque.

That said, the thing I like about the ER6N more than anything is it's torqueyness. I can totally be in the wrong gear and as long as the revs are at 3500 or more, it'll pull straight up the steepest grades with ease. When I try to launch it, which is to say 'baby it through 1st then hammer down into and thru 2nd', when I pop it into 3rd at 9000 rpm's, the front tire will actually lift a little. It always makes me grin when I do that. Not sure the hot Italian would be capable of the same feat.

Nice to see you enjoyed Tony's hospitality, he's a good host and the food is top's.

He's top notch. Great guy and great food. It was a pleasure meeting him!

Enjoy your writing style! :DD

Thanks Re: the writing. It's something I do on occasion as a means of creative release. Unfortunately, most writers not named Stephen King or JK Rowling dont make jack sh!t for a paycheck. So I turned down several teacher's advice and didnt pursue it... instead I joined the military, then sold my soul to the Defense Industrial Complex. Writing is an occasional hobby I enjoy and indulge in when I find something worth writing about, but otherwise it's like that copy of the important book you keep telling yourself you're going to read some day... it sits on the shelf collecting dust.

I'm a fan of the 500X (report already on RideAsia), but I'm wondering why you are comparing it with the ER6N and not the Versys.

Agreed that would be a more fair & direct comparison, but real issue is that I literally HATE the way the Versys looks. That huge, obnoxious headlamp assembly makes it look like a bike that's ready for a good spelunker adventure. I cannot abide it. And truth be told, I love the way naked bikes look. Visually they always catch my eye. So as a first bike I have been waffling between and evaluating the Honda CB500X, the Kawi ER6N and the Honda CB500F. I have a thread about it all somewhere around here. The 500F has fallen into last place quickly, so it's really a competition between the 500X and the ER6N. One is more cost effective, user friendly and offers more overall flexibility in use. The other just comes up aces in the fun department for me, and it looks better as well. So in the end it'll be a choice between head and heart. I tend to be a guy who makes financial decisions with his head though, so I am leaning towards the X.

p.s. I have drank too much and I'm too tired to write up today's TR... it'll need to wait until tomorrow morning. The she-wok has class most of the day, so I'll have enough alone time. Just a matter of motivation...

Just done some research on the Benelli 600.

The bike is a Chinese Keeway ("kee" might well end up being a good word),engine a copy of an older Yamaha R6 (or maybe GSX-R 600) and Aprillia frame. It`s also for sale in China as a Keeway. So Jap design with Chinese parts. The Yamaha engine put out 120hp and the Benelli claimed 82 hp.

Comparison of engine specs and weight.
Benelli BN600: 82hp@11500rpm. Torque 38lbs@10500rpm. Weight 485lbs.
Kawasaki ER6: 71hp@8500rpm. Torque 47.2lbs@ 7000rpm. Weight 450lbs.

Marzocchi USD50 fork, twin 320mm Brembo rotors up front pinched by radial-mount calipers, Y-spoke-style cast wheels and fat, sporty radials are impressive if the real thing.

So the only thing Italain about it is the forks,brakes and badge on the gas tank and at 270,000 baht you take your chances with the dealer and parts back up here. I think at a much cheaper price point it might be more popular with those wanting to take a punt on them?

It`ll be interesting to see some long term owner reports on the bike.

It seems CM has a Benelli dealer across from KTM next to Big C Xtra on the super highway

Much appreciated, Lew. I was kind of wondering "Why would a Chinese bike dealer be selling Italian bikes?"

Also, we were told the price point was 250 or so... if they're going to price it the same as the Kawi, I'd go with the torquey ER6 any day.

I also don't know about the Thai made claim above.. I understood it to be a China made bike with a Euro label stuck on it. Much like the modern Sachs company.

Perhaps like some other machines they are part speed and final assembled in Thailand.

As always quality control is everything.. while it may appear to be appealing the kwak and Honda are known quantities, dealer network solid and won't go anywhere and will retain value in a predictable way. it might be a deal, but total ownership over time it would want to be cheaper than it is to me to be an early adopter.

I awoke before dawn. Slightly hung over, as per usual. I sighed and made a promise to myself to someday pencil in more than 5 hours of sleep. I knew I was lying to myself, but it gave me a weird kind of hope that kept me going. I drove out to the 7-11, passing the Too Much Fun Club along the way… it looked innocent enough now, but I was somehow sure it held a certain decadent appeal that I would've found much to my liking. Another time perhaps.

On the main road, I passed the usual things one sees in towns here… food carts, temples, cop stands, etc. Then as I passed the Mitsubishi dealership, I locked eyes with an exquisite creature. How I accomplished this from half a mile away is unclear, but what was immediately understood was the vibe. Electric. Connection. As I approached, neither of us looked away. She was about 5'7, lean, long hair and white skinned, looking very tidy in her tight black jeans and white & red Mitsubishi shirt. She smiled once I was close. Thin lips, straight white teeth, eyes that had that certain knowing look. And then she turned away and the moment was gone. I felt the sudden urge to buy a Mitsubishi product of any kind. But instead I counted it as yet another thing I'd need to come back and look into once there was more time.

After a 7-11 breakfast and a pair of caffeinated sodas, I was more prepared to deal with this last day of riding. I returned to the hotel to fetch RB. He was sitting outside of his room, eating the 7-11 breakfast that he'd smartly purchased the night before. He said earnestly "Thailand is a very strange place."

"Tell me about it."

"This morning a strange lady with perfect English burst into my room. I left the door a little open in case you woke up early and wanted to get a head start on the road. She ran through the door and said 'I need to use your bathroom!' and didn't wait for a response. She was in there only a minute, then came back out non-chalantly and said simply 'thanks' and walked away as if it was the most normal thing in the world. I was still sitting there on the bed with my mouth open."

"Thailand" I shrugged.

We soon got under way, deciding that our timing would have to go very well if I was going to make it back and turn the bike in before closing, but it was worth it to work in the Bo Kluea Loop before heading for home. I'm glad we made that decision. There was some stress involved, and the ride wasn't perfect, but when weighed now with the benefit of hindsight, it was the right call.

The loop started off with the usual flat tarmac through small, lazy towns that aren't worth remembering. Eventually you begin to climb though. You get further and further from civilization and the road becomes more and more relaxing.

100_6503_zps557dc2ac.jpg

100_6502_zps177844c3.jpg

Then, to my utter delight, it became a ridge runners dream. It was if god himself had cast this road aside in heaven and let it float down, like a ribbon that draped itself along the edges of the mountains. The scenery and views were amazing.

100_6528_zps4be7e720.jpg

100_6520_zpsdad6fc09.jpg

100_6514_zps84bbe695.jpg

I was the lead bike, and looking ahead I could see this climbing continued all the way up into the clouds. "Well, that's nice" I thought. And soon enough, after some 60 kilometers of fantastic roads and spectacular sights, we began to enter the clouds. I remember thinking "I'm riding in the sky!", but soon the fun thoughts ended.

(look close and you can see me)
100_6525_zps6716e0aa.jpg

100_6522_zpsea912ae2.jpg

After more ascending, the white mist grew thick. Down to 30kph now, which the torquey bike didn't like. At that speed anything but the lightest touch of the throttle gets an uncomfortable lurch as the Kawi wants to leap forward through the gears. It couldn't be helped though as I couldn't see more than a few yards ahead. And then it hit me… didn't the horror film Silent Hill start in exactly this same way? Travelers lost in the misty mountains. Hell, even Sean Bean gets it in that one. I doubt I'd fare much better.

The heavy cloud cover and wet roads went on for quite some time. I knew for certain the dead bodies would soon be visible from the road, prompting us to stop and investigate, which would then trigger the ire of the coven of witches nearby. Blood-soaked violence would surely follow. But no, in time we began to descend again and soon the roads began to dry and visibility improved. I'd guess about a 1/3'rd of the loop was covered in a fog bank.

Still, the parts that we were able to enjoy, the first and last third, lasted an hour each and it beat any of loops we have at home by a wide margin.

100_6515_zps0764ffde.jpg

We rode all the way back to Nan, completing the loop, then took the 1091 west. Some parts of this road were quite enjoyable, but some were flat and lifeless. Maybe I was just weary from 3 days of riding. It was a decent road, but going this way rather than directly home via a main artery put me at risk of not getting back to Chiang Mai in time. I was hoping for a little more payoff, I think. The surface was at least quite smooth and the traffic was sparse. Only the occasional rice farm broke up the natural landscape.

100_6518_zpsba59e857.jpg

Two snakes were hit as we rode, both green and thin. Not sure what type they were, only sure that they didn't much like being run over. My biggest scare for the day was a dog that bolted out of nowhere to attack RB's ninja, decided he was moving too quickly, then pivoted to intercept mine. As a dog lover I find it difficult to deal with the notion of hitting someone's canine friend and just leaving it injured. I struggle with what I'd do in that case. As the gods would have it though, I didn't need to figure that out this day… I missed the dirty bugger by about a foot as he snapped at the front wheel.

RB's biggest scare of the day came when he tried to pass a large, slow moving truck and the smaller farmer's pick'em up behind the truck swerved out at the same time. He went into the bike lane all the way at the side of the road in the on-coming side. Evidently the farmer wanted more room as he continued to drift on over and push RB further and further aside. I saw it all from about 100 feet back. Looked a bit scary from my angle, but he assures me it was even more scary from his.

In due course, we made it to the 120, which is a high speed bendy sort of road with a smooth, sticky surface. I let RB know that we needed to make up some time; no more picture stops or piss breaks unless it was absolutely essential. We then weaved our way through at about 110 kph on the straights and 80 or 90 on the turns, but before too long my gas indicator started flashing at me hatefully. I throttled down to 85 and stayed there, which is about what everyone else was doing. RB kept leaving me, then waiting for me, until he figured out what was going on. Near the end, I found a BTT station and got more gas, a coke zero and a quick snack. We were 20 kilometers or so from the 118, which would take us south and into home plate. I checked the time. We had an hour to cover about 100 kilometers. It was going to be very close. I advised RB of this and we both expressed doubts we'd make it, even with a quick pace.

Back on the road, RB pushed his ninja hard and I pushed my riding comfort limits. 130-140 on the straight sections, 110-120 through the turns. It was everything the little ninja had and it was all my nerve would stand. All it would've taken was one rain shower to wet the roads, or one manned police check point where everyone was being stopped, and the jig would be up.

Always remember though, Jesus favors the bold. The cops decided that napping at the roadside was preferable to talking to motorists. And the skies were gray and dark, but never let loose with any precipitation. God was on our side… that much was obvious now. And he was enjoying the spectacle of RB revving the hell out of his bike and me anxiously applying all that I've studied and learned about riding smoothly and safely when pushing the pace. Stability is key. Confidence is everything. Look where you want to go and you will go there. Good things to remember in one's life.

We made it back to Chiang Mai's outskirts, despite some idiots best efforts to not let us pass. As we approached town, I had some jackass slowly cross the entire 3 lane highway as I hurtled toward him. As I whipped by at 125kph, I noticed he was on a haggard old scooter with his young wife who was holding their infant. I decided to slow the hell down at that point- no need in risking bad karma as a result of other's stupidity. Besides, we still had 19 minutes to make it to the shop and by my estimates we were less than 15 minutes away.

Indeed we made it with some minutes to spare. We dropped the bike off and went to Rider's Corner for a celebratory drink and some much needed 'real' food. I look more like myself with a drink in front of me. The she-wok was called and she was soon there with my motorbike so I had transport home. A good meal was enjoyed and 3 large ciders went down a little too quickly. I stopped on the way home for some room beers and mystery meat on a stick. All felt right with the world. Me and the she-wok talked for an hour about the ride, I showed her the pix and she generously acted interested in the tale. I probably don't deserve someone so good.

After a shower and the last of my beers, the world began to feel incredibly heavy. Must've been something I ate. My bed whispered a reminder to me about owing it an hour. It only seemed fair. A man pays his debts. So I curled up for the most blissful sleep I've had in several days. And thus this story ends… but there will be others…

Final route as ridden...

NanRide_zps475deb88.png

A-B-C Chiang Mai to the Burmese border, turned around due to rocky dirt track road, doubled back through the mountains, then up to Mae Chan for the night.

C-D, day 2 ride... Mae Chan to Nan.

D-E-F-G-H, day 3 ride... From Nan up through the Bo Kluea Loop (E & F were rest/stopping points), out to G which was the final gas station stop, then down into Chiang Mai.

That is quite a 3 day loop, great recollections kevin, a really enjoyable read. Surprised you didn't like R 1091.

So what is the favorite bike now after several thousand Km's?

^ i like the 1091 too as the corners are much faster and enjoyable than the likes of the 1148.
It`s also around an hour quicker back to CM than either of the other ways (1148 or 11 through Den Chai)...about 3 hours all up.

Definitely not saying the 1091 wasnt nice. It was. But according to Google, going that way adds about 45 minutes of travel time Vs the 101 to the 11. RB seemed to think it would add more like an hour as we could go much faster on the main artery roads. Turns out we pushed the pace pretty quick enough as it was though.

So what is the favorite bike now after several thousand Km's?

Ya know, I'm still kind of mulling this one over... on the way back yesterday, that extra torque really came in handy a few times when passing at higher speeds.

That said, the X obviously offers more versatility and I would've been able to push through the dirt/rock 1178 the first day if I were on one. There's also sometimes just little trails or paths ya see as you ride and ya think "I wonder where that goes...", and if you were on the X you could at least try to find out.

So, actual versatility and roughly 25% less cost... or fun factor and more cajones.

Definitely not saying the 1091 wasnt nice. It was. But according to Google, going that way adds about 45 minutes of travel time Vs the 101 to the 11. RB seemed to think it would add more like an hour as we could go much faster on the main artery roads. Turns out we pushed the pace pretty quick enough as it was though.

Google maps travel times aren`t exact on the secondary roues but i`ve done the 1091 way home in a tick over 3 hours twice now and closer to 4 less interesting hours via Den chai.

Nice write up War, good read and good pics, thanks.

A refreshing insight from a relatively newbie rider to what many of us take for granted riding the beautiful roads of northern Thailand, enjoyed it immensely, looking forward to your ride reports in Laos :DD

Back
Top Bottom