CRF vs Dtracker personal opinions

Ally

Bikes
PCX - with custom valve caps
Phil loaned me the bike & gave me the opportunity of making some personal & 'what matters to me' comparisons with my D-Tracker.
534856_267979689966258_100002626862002_517150_500689116_n.jpg

When I rode my first 20km on this bike I felt by bum was too low, my knees too high and my feet resting on the gear & brake pedals at an angle that was more acute than I was comfortable with. The reason I raised the seat on the dtracker was to straighten my leg more. I will admit after 80km I was more comfortable than when I started (I had got used to the different style) but I really would prefer to have a straighter leg position.

Sitting on the CRF, I had to make a conscious effort to bring my toes in as the gear lever is more stubby than the dtracker, plus the knees bent riding position (& my habit style) mean that my toes were actually pointed slightly out. The stubby gear change is 5.5 cm from the casing to it's tip where as the drtacker is a full 7cm!

Another nice thing about the CRF is the mirror view comparison. I was able to see more of the road directly behind me than with the dtracker. I have played for 3 years with the dtracker mirrors and have never found I could improve to this level of satisfaction on the blind spot behind me, up my bum if you like! The reason behind this is the risers of the mirror on the CRF are 48cm apart where as the dtracker is only 43cm apart. The CRF achieves this partly by having wider (longer 79cm) bars than the stock bars on the dtracker 77cm.

Sitting at lights I have both feet flat on the ground. My jeans leg is 31 inches long, so I am not tall, just 5'8". I believe I know 4 people in my social circle that would really enjoy riding this bike over the taller kawasaki options. Not saying they are vertically challenged but slightly shorter in the leg !

I measured from the centre of the bars to a position vertically above the pegs. The CRF is 40cm & the dtracker is 45cm. So the result of my knees being bent is more to do with seat height than the distance the pegs are from the front of the bike in respect of my arm length / seating position as the measurements show, the CRF pegs are 5cm nearer the front of the bike.

I tried to do stupid stuff like pull away in 3rd (on purpose - honest !) and the torque seemed better than the dtracker. I also tried to stall it at low rev's / slow speed and found the CRF coped very well, where as in similar situations the dtracker would stall.

398359_267981006632793_100002626862002_517172_1872459117_n.jpg

It's quick. Out of the box, the dtracker only did 114km/h on the clock, arms tucked in & a decent wide open road with a following wind. The CRF however, does 126km/h.

As is my want, I checked the speed with my garmin csx. The dtracker consistently shows a difference of -9 (your see 114 on the clock but garmin gps says 105). The CRF had a difference of -10 (the clock says 126 & garmin says 116)

Tomorrow I will wash the CRF & get to know any issues I care about when I touch & look at the bike with a soapy cloth & chamois in hand.

Ally

Interesting observations about the dimensions of the bike, good to see if performs ok on the tarmac.

I'm really looking forward to your detailed observations Ally, as you are already sharing.

How about seat comfort/discomfort?
How about economy?
Is that brake cable which loops up and over where a visor would be a distraction?

Enjoy!

2wheels said:
I'm really looking forward to your detailed observations Ally, as you are already sharing.

How about seat comfort/discomfort?
How about economy?
Is that brake cable which loops up and over where a visor would be a distraction?

Enjoy!

Hi there Ron

As said above, the seat is very good, I did not experience any discomfort on 80km. I was impressed. The economy test is next for me, I will do a poodle & not thrash (Slash style) & see what results I get. (Sorry Phil, if your reading this, 'thrash' means a little bit faster ;)

That cable ... what cable !! you hardly notice it.

Your leg length would not be happy with the stock seat though, your legs are at least 2 - 3 inches longer than mine & you would have your knees up too high, a bit like squatting on a posh style loo. Looks noce but not functional !!

Ally

Ally, what is that ill fitting bit of plastic on the rear end for? Is that a lock on it? Can it be removed? It would give the rear end a racier look with it gone IMO.

I hadn't noticed before but those tyres look great for a dual purpose bike, I can see KLX etc owners using them as well.

Nice pictures, thanks.

KTMphil said:
Taninthai said:
Mmm you say 126 max speed I've seen 140 on mine straight out the box with no mods

Did you check it with a gps?

Not gps measured try and give it a go tommorow with gps

Daveb don't think you can remove the lock part I have stripped all the rear plastic and light of mine and the lLock part remains

It's the tool compartment! - there's even a spare empty shelf, not sure yet if a front 21" tube will fit in there.

Davevb said:
Ally, what is that ill fitting bit of plastic on the rear end for? Is that a lock on it? Can it be removed? It would give the rear end a racier look with it gone IMO.

I hadn't noticed before but those tyres look great for a dual purpose bike, I can see KLX etc owners using them as well.

Nice pictures, thanks.

Maybe a bit of hacking to get it away? With it gone, a tail tidy and nice muffler that back end will really look good.

For sure it will look a whole lot sharper with a tail tidy..

this bike would look hot with the white fender from the white version, and the red seat.

Thanks for the comparison, keep 'em coming! I can honestly see how a really low bike would be easy to throw around in the dirt...

I hope Honda will make a supermoto version of this one.. even though I want to get this for my first dirt bike, if they made a supermoto version I'd probably cave and buy that instead...

I've been told motard wheels are already available, haven't seen them in the flesh yet.

nikster said:
this bike would look hot with the white fender from the white version, and the red seat.

Thanks for the comparison, keep 'em coming! I can honestly see how a really low bike would be easy to throw around in the dirt...

I hope Honda will make a supermoto version of this one.. even though I want to get this for my first dirt bike, if they made a supermoto version I'd probably cave and buy that instead...

nikster said:

Totally agree the only thing I didn't like about the White one is the seat its only three bits off plastic to change and then you have a White one with red seat or just recover the seat on the White one in red either way cheap to do

Would like to change mine to yellow and black colours but I think being on trails all the time it would just keep getting scratched andake the paint job look a bit shoddy

Some thai guys have already fitted motard wheels to one cant remember where I saw it though it might have been in the link on this forum where they had the comparison of the dodgy welding think that was pantip

Ok just back from a 200 km ride had it at 130 km/r in 5th gear gps reading 119/120 into 6th gear saw 135 km/r gps reading 125 km/r kept coming up on cars today so couldn't get it to 140 today
Rides pretty comfortable at about 120km/r thats sitting upright then chin down on bars to get it from 130 to 140.
Don't have a proper gps yet so was using a iPhone app which I tested in the car yesterday and it was reading about 5 km/r less than car speedo on bike it seems to read about 10 km/r less than indicated speedo reading

Back
Top Bottom