Another Laos Trip

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
Another Laos Trip

Last week I had a few "spare" days so made a short 5 day trip to Laos to meet friends and do some exploring of local border crossings between Laos and Thailand, try out some of the new roads and tracks and map some of the new resettlement villages. Caught this motorbike hanging from a bus on its way south and thought it was almost ready to fall of. A few hours later saw the same bus again with the bike still hanging there so I guess it was tied up more securely than I thought.

IMG_6886.jpg

While in the area I almost always stop at the viewpoint on Rd 8 to as I really enjoy the peace and quiet as well as the views over the "Stone Forest"
IMG_6895.jpg

IMG_6896.jpg

IMG_6899.jpg

IMG_6900.jpg

The Hinboun valley
IMG_6907.jpg

The Theun-Hinboun Hydro Power Project was stopped for repairs and there was almost no water in the surge-tank. Quite a few of the local people were happy with this as this gave them the opportunity to catch fish and frogs in the muddy bottom of the surge tank nor in the Nam Hai river which channels the water from the power station to the Hinboun river. The bean-counters of the power company were unhappy as each day stoppage would mean half a million US Dollar less in sales of electricity for the company.
IMG_6909.jpg

On the other hand, the power company engineers repairing the bridge over the Nam Hai River (part of the Hydro Power Project) were happy with the stoppage as there had been heavy erosion of the river banks during the rainy season and the supporting pillars of the bridge in the road which leads to the Konglor cave were in danger of collapsing. This picture shows the situation one day before the power station was planned to start up again with plenty of water flowing again through the river.
IMG_6930.jpg

Om my way to Laos I had a quick peek at the new Immigration and Customs buildings on the Thai side of the Thali - Kenethao International border crossing. The buildings have now been finished but it is still a very "sleepy" crossing
IMG_6960.jpg

One of the local border crossings over the Nam Hueng with no officials in sight
IMG_6967.jpg

Another of the local border crossings - this one a crossing over the Mekong
IMG_6891.jpg

One of the new roads being constructed or rather hacked out of the mountains in Laos
IMG_6916.jpg

IMG_6914.jpg

IMG_6915.jpg

IMG_6920.jpg

IMG_6921.jpg

Here also problems with erosion and parts of the new road being constructed had disappeared
IMG_6918.jpg

Young Ferry Captain making sure I get safely to the other side of the river
IMG_6889.jpg

IMG_6890.jpg

Another river crossing
IMG_6928.jpg

Young guys at one of the temples along the roads I traveled
IMG_6926.jpg

They wanted to take a picture of me with some of them but they were quite disappointed with the results as the pictures they took were to dark
IMG_6927.jpg

The children at one of the resettlement villages were quite happy with the facilities of their new school building with a "Dream Toilet" and a "Dream Library"
IMG_6931.jpg

Road to one of the resettlement villages with the new housing units in the background
IMG_6944.jpg

IMG_6959.jpg

Oops, but at least a consistent oops as the other side of the sign showed the same "View"
IMG_6949.jpg

IMG_6973.jpg

IMG_6922.jpg

Some nice looking river crossings there Auke.

Great picture

IMG_6973.jpg

Back
Top Bottom