Africa Twin 750 1996 green book (Tabien Suam)

esspressolungo

Bikes
Honda XR 250
My Africa Twin is up for sale. It is a 1996 model, that has served me the last ten years. It has been repainted to the original color of Red, White and Blue. At the moment I have the bike in a motorcycle shop exposed. The shop is in Nong Hoi just opposite of the Electricity Head Office, just around Gymkhana Golf Club. As I mentioned in the header, this is a Tabien Suam Number Plate. It's is fully registered in my name with green book, due to the status the transfer in someone else's name will take aprox. 2 month. The clock shows about 90 k km's, which could be true. For further questions contact: maetoranee@gmail.com

I will ask 100,000 THB or best offer.

Here You go......
IMG335.jpg

Oh, I see Maestro Rob.....it is actually a pretty nice bike and never let me down, but I don't do road no more....Thanks man

Russ McDermid said:
OK, I'll show my ignorance - whats a Tabien Suam Number Plate ?
Rgds, Russ.

I was going to ask the same.. I mean I know the Tabien part or course, but not Suam and why that then requires it to have a 2 month transfer time.

Its well priced if in decent nick and maintenance.

Not sure myself but my missus says "Suam" means "Copy" or ??? in Thai, or maybe you've misspelled that!

OK so its a 'grey book'.. At least how they are called by most I have spoken with.

Is the tabien for roughly a similar bike Eg honda.. Big bore.. Twin cyl.. Makes a big difference to the value of the book is roughly the right make and model than if its a scooter type book. Seen big bore exotic bikes with a 150cc suzuki single book slapped on them and thats a hard sell to even the most asleep official. Grey books come in many levels from A1 perfect right type of bike and model year, to nothing like what its supposed to be.

Still a fair price IMO..

A fair price it is.
If I was looking for an allroader I'd say "Hands off this bike is mine". I'm riding an XRV in Belgium and am really happy with it. But for LOS I'm looking for a lighter bike.

Although, if it's still available in, say, November... I might be interested. Could have used it last year.

A Tabien Suam actually means Dirty Registration, or unclean Registration, some call it grey book or recycled book. To my knowledge, the bike can be transferred to another person's name, but the process will take a little longer due to the circumstances, I don't want to discuss details here. If someone is really interested, please email me....thanks

This bike is now up for sale again, being shown at Ozone Bikes opposite Airport Plaza. She's got 99K on the clock and Eik the shop owner quote me 150,000 Baht (the shop assistant, Bank, said 160K...... he's very well named!!) The paperwork is in the name of a German gent who's initials are JR.

Attachments

• Image0838.jpg
    Image0838.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 611
  • Image0839.jpg
    Image0839.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 573
  • Image0840.jpg
    Image0840.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 861
They had it repainted again...wtf...it's a great bike and served me for many years, the price is ridiculous, I bought it for 180k and that's more then ten years ago, plus I don't know if they ever can get it in someone else's name

Normally 5,000 Bht and they can change the name in the green book.

They had it repainted again...wtf...it's a great bike and served me for many years, the price is ridiculous, I bought it for 180k and that's more then ten years ago, plus I don't know if they ever can get it in someone else's name

Oops, I got the price wrong, that's what they're asking for the older one sitting next to your old one! For yours, the asking price hasn't changed from what you paid 10 years ago!!

I had this bike up for sale for many month, I had to lower the price every month, still nobody replied. So I took the bike to a friends shop in Nong Hoi, he found a customer for me I sold the bike under 100 k...just to give you some info, I think that bike could be worse between 110 k an 120 k, no more then that

So, ressurecting this thread, not so much about the bike but about a "Tabien Suam"...... a dirty book is probably worse than having no book, no? I mean a dirty book like this will not have the engine number, frame number or year of manufacture right, so you will only get away with taxing it by paying someone under the table, and the minute you get stopped by a cop who doesn't like you, he could quite possible confiscate the bike, no?

If you are talking about my ex-bike I can tell You there's nothing wrong with it, everything in the green book is just fine, frame number is right in the green book, engine number is right too, the only thing that was difficult, would be the change into someone else's name, that takes up two 2 month to achieve, has to be done in BKK and has it's price, I was quiet surprised myself, when I first sold the bike the officer told me he had a record of another bike with the same plate, number etc. and photos, it was a chopper, he didn't say my papers were wrong, he just said: "This bike came in first", he doesn't know which one's wrong or right. I was shocked and had to sell my bike for peanuts....nevertheless it can be done at the end, there was never a problem when doing the tax and insurance thing...

Not necessarily talking about your old bike mate (even though this is your thread about that bike) but the subject of dirty books.

You say the frame and engine number in the book correspond to the bike so on the face of things everything looks good.

It's the bikes which have a totally different frame and engine number in the book I am wary of...... I have been discussing buying an extremely nice AT but the only thing in the book that corresponds to the bike is the reg number (yes, it's a Prachinburi registered bike!). The bike is a newer model with a 17 digit VIN but the book has the old 11 digit VIN....... I've been told the way folk are getting round this is to re-stamp the frame (instead of changing the book to match the bike) so you could be de-valuing a bike by making it appear older, just to match the book!

These bloody books are a minefield if you don't do your homework...... there's a nice looking AT for sale in Chonburi at the moment..... the owner states it's a '99 because that's what the book says..... but in fact that's only the date this imported bike was registered in Thailand, not the year of manufacture. The bike in question has 2000 graphics just to confuse things, but have a look on the frame and in the book and what d'you see? An 11 digit VIN, which means the bike is pre 1996!

I understand owners who have Tabien Suam bikes have taxed them anually with zero problems, taken them into neighboring countries etc with zero problems etc etc but my only question and fear is (and one which no farang owner seems to be able to answer yet)...... these bikes could be confiscated by the police at their will! We all know what dealing with the BiB is like in this country, and all it would take is a minor infringement with a cop who was having a bad day/didn't like the look of you/needed some more tea money/whatever and your baby is gone!!

Or......... does anyone out there know any different?

I think you're biggest worry is having an accident and opening a can of worms for people to extract a lot of money out of you as opposed to having a legit, insured bike.

So, ressurecting this thread, not so much about the bike but about a "Tabien Suam"...... a dirty book is probably worse than having no book, no? I mean a dirty book like this will not have the engine number, frame number or year of manufacture right, so you will only get away with taxing it by paying someone under the table, and the minute you get stopped by a cop who doesn't like you, he could quite possible confiscate the bike, no?

Depends on the level of work done.. One grey book I had was perfect, right model bike, right year bike, right frame number in book to look up on the internet for that years machine.. right engine numbers, etc etc etc..

Simply put there was no way to know that the bike was not the one that is listed in the book.

Other grey books I have had are less well done, eg the frame number is still from that manufacturer, but not the correct model or year.

Some are downright sloppy.. A honda dash single cyl being listed as a 4 cyl big cc road bike. OK to tax it perhaps but really not much use beyond that.

The bike is a newer model with a 17 digit VIN but the book has the old 11 digit VIN....... I've been told the way folk are getting round this is to re-stamp the frame (instead of changing the book to match the bike) so you could be de-valuing a bike by making it appear older, just to match the book!

The frame number is the one absolute that cannot be changed.. everything else in a book, engine, colr etc can be changed.. But the frame is the item that the book ties to and does not ever allow a change.

Interestingly a DMV officer once told me, when questioning what happens to a bent frame, it would be perfectly legal to cut the neck of a frame, and have it welded to another replacement frame, that they didnt mind. But the frame neck where the number was stamped had to be the part that was kept !! Crazy system. Hence so much restamping going on.

Back
Top Bottom